Cleaver-Brooks | Reference Center | Resource Library | Tip Sheets
Enews signup

2014 Tip Sheets


Browse through our listing of monthly tip sheets below and see how Cleaver-Brooks is helping businesses run better everyday.  


December 2014

A Checklist of Boiler Maintenance Tasks 

According to a study conducted by the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspections, poor maintenance practices or a defective low water cutoff causes most boiler incidents, including those that result in injuries and building damage.  Read More.


November 2014 

Which Boiler Type is Right? 

There are many different types of boilers on the market today. Deciding which boiler is best for your application should take into account a number of variables, including design type, operating pressure, capacity, physical size requirement and lifecycle cost.  Read More. 


October 2014

Strategies to Reduce NOx Emissions   

In the boiler-burner industry, most experts agreed that NO comprises about 95% of total NOx, with NO2 making up the remaining 5%. But, more recent studies have shown that NO2 can make up an appreciable amount of the total NOx formed, particularly at very low NOx levels.  Read More.


September 2014

Understanding Firetube Boiler Efficiency Ratings 

Today’s published boiler efficiency ratings are calculated by manufacturers using a 15% excess air level. The reason efficiency ratings are calculated using 15% excess air (or 3% O2) is that research has proven that 15% is the optimal amount of excess air to introduce into the boiler combustion process. Read More.  


August 2014

Steps to Properly Treat Boiler Water
Part 2 -- Chemical Means   

To maximize boiler efficiency and ensure equipment longevity, it is important to properly treat boiler feed water and keep the internal boiler surfaces clean. Water contains minerals and gases, which when heated lose their solubility and become very hazardous to the boiler and its connected componentsRead More. 


July 2014 

Steps to Properly Treat Boiler Water
Part 1 -- Mechanical Means  

Boiler water treatment is important for proper operation and maintenance of a boiler system. If proper water chemistry is not followed and maintained, a boiler will begin to have problems within the first years, and its useful life will be significantly shortened.  Read More. 


June 2014:

Heat Recovery Helps Your Bottom Line

In many boiler systems, the greatest single cause of heat loss is flue gas exiting through the stack. Reducing this loss is important to increase boiler system efficiency and reduce operating costs. The following are some of the heat recovery options available for boilers today. Read More.

May 2014:

Restore Boiler Efficiency by Replacing the Burner 

Most of the time, boiler systems in operation for 20 years or more are only 60- to 70-percent efficient, which wastes unnecessary energy and money every day. After about 20 years of service, a typical burner loses its effectiveness. Linkage joints, cams and other moving parts wear out, and the burner's ability to keep tight control on the fuel-air ratio becomes degraded.  Read More.

April 2014:

Why Ultra-High Turndown is Bad for Hydronic Boilers

Today, hydronic boilers can approach near-perfect efficiency due to the advancements of condensing technology. Several manufacturers promote ultra-high turndown as the solution to efficiently meeting low seasonal, partial-load demands. By understanding condensing boiler operation and the basics of thermodynamics, one will realize that an extremely high-turndown burner on a hydronic condensing boiler does not promote the highest system efficiency, but actually can make the system less efficient. Read More. 

March 2014:

Steps to Consider When Selecting a Boiler Exhaust System

Proper design and installation of an exhaust system helps to ensure that a boiler system operates at peak efficiency. Boiler inefficiency, burner shutdowns and flame ignition failure upon start-up can result from a poorly designed stack system. Read More.    


February 2014: 

Selecting the Right Hydronic Boiler Pump 

Selecting the right-size pump for a hydronic boiler requires knowledge of the system. The first step is to determine the water flow rate, measured in GPM or gallons per minute. Calculate this by taking the boiler's output, rated in BTUs, and divide it by 500 times the delta T, which is typically 20, but can be 30 or 40 in newer systems.         Read More.  


January 2014: 

Tune-up Requirements for Area Source Boilers

The Area Source Rule requires that a tune-up be conducted every two or five years depending on the boiler and fuel type. Under the EPA's Area Source Rule, most existing boilers are subject to an initial tune-up which must be completed by March 21, 2014. Read More.   

Sign up to receive tip sheet updates